17 January 2011

POLLOCK FILLET

Wok fried broccoli, garlic, leeks and red peppers. Ginger, saffron, tomato and cream sauce.

We are always being made aware of over fishing in our waters and the old favourites such as cod are becoming more scarce. There are lots of varieties about that we don't usually see much of, such as gurnard, pangasius and pollock. These are all great fish to use and are more sustainable than some other more popular varieties and we will be seeing more of them on menus as time goes on. I got some pollock loin on the weekend from the fish monger and thought I would try something different with it. Pollock is from the same family as cod and this recipe really complimented it well.

I cooked the fish in a shallow saucepan on a high heat with olive oil and butter for just a few minutes. For the mashed root vegetables, I used carrots, parsnips and swede, with freshly grated nutmeg, cracked black pepper and butter. For the sauce I saute some finely diced onion and shredded ginger for a few minutes before adding a splash of white wine and a pinch of saffron. I then added sliced baby plum tomatoes and double cream which I reduced down before seasoning. The broccoli was saute with finely sliced leeks and garlic, garnished with julienne of red peppers.


Pollock fillet, ginger, saffron, tomato and cream sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment